Thursday, October 27, 2005

When we danced...

.
.
.
.
.
With all the characters set, and it is a fine feeling of a theatre director that I have now, we shall now study the ritual. I really wouldn’t want to call it that (and I have no clue what my nephew wants to call it) but for the lack of a better word. So ritual it shall be. We designed various rituals and regularly changed their forms to introduce variety for him, but this one was serendipitous.

It all began one deceptively common day with his cries, gurgles, and finally a bear hug which thrilled him more than the noisiest toys in his kitty. My sister dreamily handed him over to me. I took him out asking him about the weather and what he thought about the recent evacuation initiative in the Gaza Strip. He stuck his tongue out for both. We really need news reporters like our man here. I walked him up and down the length of our house discussing a variety of things and pausing to obtain his expert expression on them. Soon he got bored, which I believe has little to with me or my conversations but with his sense of time; matters of the world can occupy only thirty minutes of his morning.
.
.
.
.
.

1 Comments:

Blogger name of the rose said...

A wonderful title...

I like this piece best because it respects the (unhurried) time of a child and bends to a child's unique intelligence. But even more than that, I like how it reveals something of the writer...a little gentleness and perhaps a little vulnerability.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home